In a study published in the January 2010 edition of theAmerican Journal of Psychiatry, researchers found a direct correlation between the consumption of processed foods and the incidence of depression and anxiety. Common junk foods used in the study included enriched flour, deli meats, snack products, artificial sweeteners and added sugars found in commercial fruit juice and dessert items.
Combined with the fact that most people that eat shit also do not get off their ass and exercise. If I sat on my ass all day and never got off the couch except to piss and go to the refrigerator I would be depressed too.
Killing ourselves softly: studies support food-depression link.
“Mindfulness therapy encourages patients to focus on their breathing and their body, to notice but not judge their thoughts and to generally live in the moment,” wrote Chris Woolston in theLos Angeles Times(http://articles.latimes.com). The end result is improved self-reliance, “stick-to-itiveness,” perseverance, and getting the job done, according to Rep. Ryan.
US Congressman advocates meditation, mindfulness as solution to global conflict.
1) Each of us is already infinitely wondrous—miraculous, awe-inspiring, unfathomable. (This is well hidden beneath the distractions and emotions of everyday life.)
2) Our wondrous nature is the same as the infinite wonder of the universe.
3) The way to experience our wondrous self is to fully experience the present moment, since each moment of consciousness is infinitely wondrous in itself.
4) The mind, body, and spirit are inseparable.
5) Experiencing our wondrous self leads to an abundance of joy and goodness.
6) The techniques of Yoga, leading to enhanced awareness, are one method for discovering our true wondrous nature.
Yoga Demystified: The Six Big Ideas. | elephant journal.
The most important step is getting started, Ricketson says. Here are seven things beginners — and anyone practicing yoga — should know to maximize their benefits:
- Cardiovascular (aerobic) training: As with meditation, focused breathing is a cornerstone of mind-body training. Aerobic means “with oxygen”and aerobic movement increases the flow of oxygen-rich blood throughout the body, including the brain. Cardiovascular training is the single most important aspect of the physical training because it keeps the heart open and strong.
- Core and strength training: This includes the students’ abdomen and buttocks, and the lower back region, which extends to the base of the skull. Here is where strength, stability, and balance originate.
- Flexibility training (yoga postures): Stretching simply feels good, and it reminds students to not only be more flexible in one’s body, but also one’s mind. This step allows us to move (and live) with greater ease.
- Adequate rest: Sleep is a necessary part of life, and sufficient rest is needed for energy and equilibrium.
- Life-giving nutrition: Making the right choices in food allows yoga students to achieve an optimal, balanced state. This includes nutritional foods consumed in moderation.
- Family/community/church: From Epicurus to modern science, study and observation show that we find greater happiness with access to friends and family.
- Written goals and a plan of action: Goals and stated intention act as a road map to achieving balanced well-being.
Ricketson says the above steps are just the beginning. She says tapping in to the mind-body connection also helps memory loss, attention deficit disorders, public violence — including in schools — as well as an unknown amount of needless human suffering.
“We all have within us a potential to experience optimal well-being in mind and body,” she says. “This potential, the good within, can be realized through the work of mind-body training. Our training is a moving meditation — a daily practice of exercises that awaken all that is good within.”
Source: Mary Jo Ricketson,
Yoga: avoid beginner’s mistakes.
The study, published in the Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics took fifty one 11th and 12th grade students from a Massachusetts high school and split them – two thirds went to yoga classes and the rest took regular PE classes 2 to 3 times a week for 10 weeks. The yoga classes were based in Kripalu and included physical postures, breathing exercises, relaxation, and meditation.
Study Finds Teen Yoga is Positively Awesome, Can Improve Health.
The company has turned its retail locations into community centers, offering wine tastings, trivia contests and, yes, yoga classes.
Banks Branch Into Yoga – Yahoo! Finance.